Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cooking

Cooking.......the word itself, is simple, however it brings fear and hopelessness to some folks. How is it that the task that brings the most love to our homes is the most hated and difficult task for some people? I never found it hard. I was told what to do and I did it. I didn't take courses, I didn't have to go to an adult ed offering to learn how to boil a pot of pasta. I knew what chopped meat looked like, and the difference between a breast and a thigh in the poultry section. My first turkey, yes, I wil admit, I needed a little guidance, it was big, and a little overwhelming. Somehow, someway, I conquered it....no ovens on fire, no blowups(foodwise) no tears, no complaints. I have had some experimental dishes go awry, and those we don't even try again. I have had great success with a few dishes, and even then, I have made mistakes.
I don't understand the mentality of some moms that feel that cooking wastes time with their children. I spend time cooking in the kitchen while my children are sitting at the table doing their homework. We talk about things that they need to talk about, that I have questions about and anything in between. When dinner is prepared, we set the table, everyone has a job, one sets up the plates, one has the napkins, and one puts out the condiments, or "extras" that we need. We all sit together and continue talking about our day. Then clean up is again a collective effort. Time wasted? I think not.
Through cooking, we have created responsibiltiy, conversation, a sense of loving home. Many of my best memories are surrounded by dinners and cooking them. It is important to have those memories. I try not to chase the kids from the kitchen, sometimes it is inevitable, especially when the hungry teenagers are hanging around willing the dishes to be done.
I think that it is important to sit at the Table or gathered somewhere as a family to have a meal, at least one meal together. Did you hear me? TOGETHER! Not this one grabs a plate, that one grabs a plate, and they rush off with it full of food to their "corners." My children genuinely love one another. They don't fight often, and when they do they resolve it. No real rivalry surfaces. They accept one another and give each other space. THey share some interests, and differ on others.
We stress the importance of getting to know one another, to accepting that we are different, but always to be there for each other. THe boys, while they appear different, are very close. My oldest says that people can't believe how colse they are.........that when he first said it, made me feel very proud. I never wanted them to feel that they were pitted against each other, that they were vying for my or my husband's attention. I didn't want anyone to feel that there was a favorite among them. They are all my favorite, and for different reasons. They are a piece of me, and have pieces of me, pieces of my husband and pieces of each of our families.
SO, Cooking? I say cook. Even if you feel that you are not good at it.....make burgers on the grill. Make spaghetti and a jar of sauce, make a salad with everything! Simple finger foods for the SUnday football game,Boxed mac and cheese, a salad and hot dogs......kid food, and everyone can help Your kids will remember the time, not always the food. It isn't what is on the table, it is who surrounds the table that counts. If you are that concerned about your skills, go ahead, take those adult ed courses, but COOK. It will change your family life, it will enrich it. Trust me.

No comments: