Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving is Here


I know, I know, it really isn't Thanksgiving. It will be though in two days. I don't want to miss wishing all of my friends in blogland a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I want to reflect here a little, on things that I am truly thankful for. I am thankful for my family. Especially for my husband. Three years ago, he wasn't here, he was in a hospital getting his hip replaced due to the cruel witch of his cancer. I am truly glad that his remission is still strong, and that we do everything possible to make it so...my children. They are well adjusted, loving and live with open minds and hearts. At my daughter's parent teacher conference last week, I was told that she is a "good student, a good friend, and just a good kid." THe boys are good friends, good kids, but their studies well they need to do more of that. I am proud that they do try their best in most of their subjects, and that is something to be thankful for. They understand that not only is it important to participate in athletics, but in academics too! I am thankful for the roof over my head. We live in times when manyof our fellow Patchogians are loosing their homes. A sad fact. I am thankful that I have heat and food on the table. I am thankfu for simple things. My perspective on life has changed over the past three years, simple things are what make a long and happy life. It isn't how much you have or the material things you can buy, it is life, how you live it, and who is in it. THose things are important to me and I am thankful that now, I have mellowed to the point of who cares what actress is "hot" or what products there are out there for me to buy, consume, give. It just doesn't matter in the long run. I am concerned with the higher ground, putting food on the table, keeping a roof on the house, keeping my kids warm. I want them to separate wants and needs. I want them to understand that need is not the latest video game or tv set. I do want them to dream and dream big. I want them to be succesful, but on heir terms. If success to each one of them means that they sweep streets for a living, then so be it. If success means that they woek as a fast food worker, then so be it. My definition doesn't always fit with what society defines success as....happiness and simpleness is success to me. So, that is what I am thankful for.


May all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving. Remember all that you have, and the folks who have passed in and out of your lives, be thankful for having known them, I am.

No comments: