Saturday, February 12, 2011

Library

I know that there are a ton of new electronic gagets out there to own that are reading aids. They kind of replace books, don't they?

It is a scary thing when books are being replaced by the internet. What will happen to our libraries if we can instantly have "books" in front of us?

Personally, if you haven't been able to figure it out, I am more than a little opposed to these gagets.

I love my local library, wandering for hours in the stacks, feeling the book in my hands, being able to turn the pages. The library has a certain look, no matter if it is a school library, a university library, or a public library. The peace and the serenity, I believe, is what has always drawn me to the library. My children have had library cards since practically they were born. My boys always belonged to the summer reading club, first with my mother, then with the ummer camp, and later with me. They are too cool to go to the library right now. Patrick, I am sure will have to rediscover the place when he enters school in the fall. I hope so anyway.

The Library has a certain smell. (No not of unwashed bodies and the like) The smell of ink, pages and dust. The combination of these things makes a library smell. I love the smell of the books in the stacks. I enjoy the artwork on the book jackets, and love discovering an author for the first time, by design or by chance. To me, the library is a gift. It is the gift htat has no returns....final sale, no exchanges, no chance of giving it back. It is a gift that I can give, and receive at the same time.

It is a fun experience that I can share with my daughter, who has a love of books and reading too. She understands that the library can take you places without a passport. YOu can time travel, you can learn history, you can learn that there are others out there in the world who share your vision. She gets it!

My daughter loves the library as much as I do. She begs to go, albiet at odd times, or extremely busy times.



Saturday, we went to the library. I had two books that I wanted to get, of course they weren't in our library, so they needed to be reserved. I think that is the mark of a good library. The books are being checked out, people are reading them, people are taking them home. They will call when they come in. Which will give me the excuse to go to the library! The children and parents section is being renovated so, the temporary HQ for that department is in the hall of a local small church. We went to the main part of the library first, then we hopped in the car and went to the CAPS section at the church. Cassidy had a tough time wrapping her head around the fact that the room was small, and that they didn't have all of the books on shelves. I think it bothered her to know that this was a reality in some places. But then she just accepted that it is what it is, and this too shall pass. When the Children's and Parents section is finished, it will be a whole new world for her again. She will have to learn the new design and will have to take it all in and enjoy it!

What a beautiful way to spend a morning with my daughter, and guess what? The only thing it costs is time. People spend so much money on books, on book clubs and such. THere is a treasure right in your own town...use it....enjoy it....savor it! DOn't let the electronic age take it all away, it is a part of you, and your community!

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Yes libraries are important. I'm not good about going but I've donated to our local library expansion. Good cause.

Miki said...

Thank you Cliff....our library has always been important to me. I love feeling at home there, and I don't go as often as I would like to go....but when I do, I make sure that I enjoy every moment there.